Paleo Puppy Cake
Paleo, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Minimal Ingredients, Easy
Treat your pup to a special Paleo puppy cake for his or her birthday or any special occasion. You’ll be happy with the ingredients, and so will your pup!
Despite its name, this Paleo puppy cake is perfect for all ages of dogs! Whether they are celebrating a birthday or their adoption date, this cake will have them licking their lips for more!
Our newest pup turned one on Valentine’s day, and my youngest wanted to celebrate by making him a cake. This isn’t something we normally do, but I thought it was the cutest idea ever, so we got to baking!
Both our dogs enjoyed the special dog cake, and if they could talk, they’d probably ask for more.
Out of pure curiosity, I had to try it myself. It’s a little bland for my taste buds, but it is definitely edible if you dare to share a piece with your fur baby.
The ingredients in this cake were selected because they are safe enough for both human and puppy consumption. While you are making this, please make sure none of your ingredients are sweetened. Sometimes coconut milk and applesauce can be sweetened with artificial sweeteners, which can be deadly for dogs.
If you have questions about whether or not this cake is safe for your dog to eat, please consult your vet before making it.
You’ll want to read this blog post in its entirety for more helpful tips and tricks you’d typically by-pass. Or, if you are feeling lucky, jump to the recipe below and get started!
Either way, I’d love to hear how your puppy cake turned out, so please leave a comment and share it with your friends and family.
How to Make Paleo Puppy Cake
Surprise your pup with a delicious puppy approved birthday cake made with natural and safe Paleo ingredients for dogs.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Tip: Make a smaller cake by cutting the recipe in half and pouring into a small round cake pan.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. In another medium-sized bowl, whisk coconut milk, banana, and coconut oil, then combine into the almond flour and stir for 1 minute or until evenly combined.
Tip: Coconut milk can be swapped out for equal parts unsweetened almond milk
4. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until the batter has set and the top has a golden brown hue.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and cool before applying the unsweetened applesauce frosting with a spatula.
How to Store Paleo Puppy Cake
This puppy cake can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days without frosting. Best if eaten the same day for optimal freshness if frosting is applied.
Essential Equipment for Making Paleo Puppy Cake
8-Inch Round Pan – An 8-inch round pan is excellent for making this cake into a perfect circle! An 8×8-inch square dish would work as well too. To make smaller pup cakes, cut the recipe in half and pour batter into a smaller 4-inch round pan. (Baking time may vary).
Basic Staples for Making Paleo Puppy Cake
Almond Flour – The perfect gluten-free flour for those following the Paleo diet.
Cinnamon – My favorite quality organic brand for all my spices is Simply Organic.
Baking Powder – Use non-aluminum and chemical baking powder by making a homemade blend with baking soda and cream of tartar.
Coconut Milk – Opt for full-fat unsweetened coconut milk.
Coconut Oil – I purchase Costco’s coconut oil, mainly because we use a lot of it, but any coconut oil will work!
Banana – Local or organic produce is always best! Bananas do not need to be overly ripe for this recipe.
Unsweetened Applesauce – Unnatural sugars can be harmful to dogs. If you do not have any, using almond butter as a ‘frosting’ is also a perfect treat.
Paleo Puppy Cake
For the 'Frosting'
- 3 to 4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch round pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In another medium-sized bowl, whisk coconut milk, banana, and coconut oil, then combine into the almond flour and stir for 1 minute or until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until the batter has set and the top has a golden brown hue.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool before applying the unsweetened applesauce frosting with a spatula.
Nutritional facts aren’t always factual – please use these as a reference only. Speak to a nutritionist about your recommended daily values and for more accurate information.