Paleo Chicken Nuggets
**UPDATED** Paleo, Gluten-Free, Minimal Ingredients, Kid and Allergy Friendly
Opt for these healthy and homemade Paleo chicken nuggets for lunch or dinner. These kid-approved nuggets are crisp and crunchy and perfect for dipping!
We all struggle with getting our kids to eat healthier options. For years I was purchasing frozen chicken nuggets from the store for a quick meal for my two toddler boys.
Each one of those frozen packages of nuggets depicted, “healthy ingredients,” “organic,” and “gluten-free,” but the reality behind the pretty logo and the promise of vegetarian-fed chickens (whatever that means) is anything but healthy, organic, or natural.
A few months ago I ditched the frozen premade crap for real, organic, fresh, and homemade Paleo chicken nuggets.
You’ll want to read this blog post in its entirety more helpful tips and tricks you’d normally by-pass. Or if you are feeling lucky jump to the recipe below and get started!
Either way, I’d love to hear how your chicken nuggets turned out, so please leave a comment and share it with your friends and family.
How to Make Paleo Chicken Nuggets
These Paleo chicken nuggets are perfect for lunch or dinner. Whether you are a kid or a parent, dinner will be enjoyed by all!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine tapioca flour, shredded coconut, paprika, black pepper, and sea salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg.
Tip: No egg on hand? Coat chicken in BBQ Sauce before tossing into the tapioca flour coating.
4. Place chicken tenders (one at a time) into the whisked egg while letting any access egg to drip off and transfer to flour mixture. Coat all sides of the chicken generously and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Continue this step until all chicken has been coated.
5. Bake chicken nuggets in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is oblique in the center and no longer pink.
Tip: Dip chicken nuggets into your favorite dipping sauce and serve with one of my favorite Paleo dishes!
How to Source the Best Chicken
For most of us hunting down or raising our own chicken is out of the question, so the next best option is purchasing locally pastured raised chickens. You can typically find pastured raised chickens at farmer’s markets, co-ops, local farms, and butchers.
How to Store Paleo Chicken Nuggets
These chicken nuggets take a bit more prep work than preheating than the oven. You can easily double or triple the recipe and store in the fridge (cooked) up to 3 to 5 days for quick lunches.
Tip: Leftover chicken nuggets are great for topping over a fresh leafy green salad!
Or store cooked chicken nuggets in a freezer-safe airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Preheat the oven to 350 and cook frozen for 10 to 15 minutes or until nuggets are cooked thoroughly.
Essential Equipment to Make Paleo Chicken Nuggets
Baking Sheet – I love my baking sheets, there is plenty of room and they are easy to clean. (Especially when topped with parchment paper).
More Kid-Friendly Paleo Meals
Chicken Tenders – Same delicious gluten-free coating but different recipe!
Mini Corn Dog Muffins – Go back to your ballpark memories and make these homemade corn dog muffins.
Coconut Flour Pancakes – This is the perfect breakfast recipe for kids with nut allergies with this coconut flour-based pancake.
Basic Staples for Making Paleo Chicken Nuggets
Tapioca Flour – My favorite tapioca flour brand is from Bob’s Red Mill. You can find it at most health food grocers (and even Walmart)!
Shredded Coconut – My favorite brands are Bob’s Red Mill and Let’s Do Organic.
Black Pepper – I prefer freshly ground black pepper, but use whatever’s in your kitchen!
Sea Salt – Everyone has their opinion on the best sea salt, so use whatever’s in your kitchen.
Other Items Needed
Chicken Tenders – Pasture-raised chickens are always best!
Eggs – Local pasture-raised eggs are always best!
Paleo Chicken Nuggets
- Baking Sheet
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine tapioca flour, shredded coconut, paprika, black pepper, and sea salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg.
- Place chicken tenders (one at a time) into the whisked egg while letting any access egg to drip off and transfer to flour mixture. Coat all sides of the chicken generously and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Continue this step until all chicken has been coated.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is oblique in the center and no longer pink.