Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
Crockpot Meal, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly, Easy
Warm-up this winter with a hearty Paleo beef stew with root vegetables. This is the perfect meal to come home to after a day of work or hunting.
I love crockpot meals. They are the perfect meals for busy families and those lazy days where cooking is out of the question.
Take your traditional comfort meal and turn it into a healthful Paleo alternative with this recipe.
Enjoy the tender meat and vegetables submerged in beef gravy and all ready to eat by the time you get home.
Each bite is packed full of sweet, savory, and a hint of spice from the chili powder and paprika.
You’ll want to read this blog post in its entirety more helpful tips and tricks you’d normally by-pass. Or if you are feeling lucky jump to the recipe below and get started!
Either way, I’d love to hear how your beef stew turned out, so please leave a comment and share it with your friends and family.
How to Make Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine stew meat, arrowroot, chili powder, paprika, garlic and onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper until meat is evenly coated.
2. Place seasoned stew meat into a 6-quart or larger crockpot and top with minced garlic, sliced carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, and onions.
3. Next, add bay leaf, beef bone broth, tomato paste, and coconut aminos to the crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are fork-tender.
How to Store Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
This beef stew with root vegetables is an excellent lunch meal prep recipe. I love preparing this dish on Sunday evening and evenly distributing it into five airtight containers for the weeks’ lunch.
The stew can also be frozen up to 3 months in a freezer-safe airtight container. Defrost in the refrigerator 24 hours before eating.
Essential Equipment to Make Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
Crockpot – (Otherwise known as the slow cooker). Crockpots are perfect for ‘setting and forgetting.’ I’ll usually prepare this the night before and turn on the crockpot first thing in the morning. Honestly, I’m not sure what beats coming home to the aromas of a cooked meal and being able to eat right away!
More Paleo Crockpot Meals
Irish Beef Stew – Have a little Irish in you?! Get warm and tasty with a bowl of this Irish inspired dish!
Simple Game Day Chili – Homemade Chili makes the perfect game day meal. It is loaded with beef and hearty vegetables.
Beef Stroganoff – One of my favorite meals growing up was beef stroganoff, and it still is today! Indulge in the Paleo version!
Basic Staples for Making Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
Arrowroot – Arrowroot acts like a thickening agent for the gravy and can replace corn starch in any dish.
Sea Salt – Everyone has their opinion on the best sea salt, so use whatever’s in your kitchen.
Black Pepper – I prefer freshly ground black pepper, but use whatever’s in your kitchen!
Beef Bone Broth – I use broth and stock interchangeably. You can use either. I prefer homemade bone broths, otherwise, my favorite store brand is Kettle & Fire.
Tomato paste – My favorite store brand for all tomato products is Muir Glen.
Coconut Aminos – Coconut aminos are an excellent soy sauce alternative with a sweet kick.
Other Items Needed
Stew Meat – When I purchase our cow, I always request specific cuts like stew meat. (Total time saver). If you can’t source quality stew meat, you can use chuck steak and cut it into 1-inch cubes
Garlic – Garlic is a staple in our household. I use it in just about every meal. We have our own garlic garden, so we are usually set for the year. In cases that I run out (because it has happened), I try and source local or organic garlic heads.
Carrots – Carrots in this dish help bulk up the stew!
Sweet Potato – I love swapping out white potatoes for sweet potatoes. These potatoes provide a sweetness to the dish that pairs well with the savory beef and gravy.
Celery – Celery is a great vegetable to add to any dish; it provides an extra layer of flavoring and crunch in a low-calorie form.
Onion – Onions are also a staple in our household. I use them in just about every meal. My favorite onion is the yellow onion, but occasionally you’ll see a recipe that uses red or white.
Paleo Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
- 1.5 lb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet potato, but into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine stew meat, arrowroot, chili powder, paprika, garlic and onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper until meat is evenly coated.
- Place seasoned stew meat into a 6-quart or larger crockpot and top with minced garlic, sliced carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, and onions.
- Next, add bay leaf, beef bone broth, tomato paste, and coconut aminos to the crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are fork-tender.